Roasted Squash, Chorizo, And Blue Cheese Strata is a recipe written by my friend Kathy Jollimore. She and I wanted to collaborate on a project for a long time, and finally, last Sunday, we got together to make this gorgeous breakfast strata. With Chorizo sausages from Ratinaud, Chef Jason Lynch’s Dijon mustard, and Blue Harbour Cheese’s Urban Blue, it’s a simple breakfast or brunch recipe showcasing some of Nova Scotia’s best ingredients.
This post was first published on December 2, 2014 and was last updated September 25, 2019.
Looking For More Squash Recipes? Try:
Looking For More Breakfast And Brunch Recipes? Try:
Looking For More Family Meal Ideas? Try:
Roasted Squash, Chorizo, Blue Cheese Strata
- 1 small or 1/2 large acorn squash cut into wedges, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 Chorizo sausages fresh, casings removed
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup 35% heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs rosemary, sage, oregano
- 1 loaf rustic French bread cubed or torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place the squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and scrape off any charred bits. Scoop out squash from rind into a bowl. Lightly mash and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375ºF. Butter a 9x13 oven-safe baking dish and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil and fry the chorizo, breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until just cooked. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, Dijon, and fresh herbs. Season with a pinch of both salt and pepper.
- Toss together the bread, mashed squash, cooked Chorizo, Parmesan, and blue cheese in the prepared baking dish. Pour the whisked egg mixture over top of the bread. Press the bread into the liquid to help absorb the liquid. Bake until the liquid is fully absorbed and the top is golden brown, about 40 min. Serve immediately.
Did you make this Roasted Squash, Chorizo, Blue Cheese Strata? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.