Whipped Brown Butter Spread With Cardamom And Vanilla is terrific on toast, bagels, scones, waffles, or anywhere else you like cinnamon sugar butter. The butter is browned in the microwave in this recipe, however, you can use a large pot on the stove if you prefer.
This post was first published on February 3, 2014 and was last updated August 17, 2019.
What Is Brown Butter?
It sounds so simple but brown butter is literally butter that’s been cooked until brown! As the butter cooks it starts to turn golden, then amber. If you take it all the way it will turn super dark brown (also called noisette). Brown butter is freakin’ delicious. Cook pasta in salted water, drain it, and toss it with brown butter and grated Parmesan cheese. It’s life changing!
How To Brown Butter In The Microwave
Here is some butter I browned in the microwave. I used 100g of butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup and microwaved it in one minute increments until deep amber in colour. When the butter heats the milk fats foam and rise to the top of the dish. The foamy stuff is the milk solids separating from the fat. Skim it off and discard it! Cook brown butter to your desired shade, cool it, and make my whipped brown butter spread!
Looking For More Recipes With Brown Butter? Try:
Whipped Brown Butter Spread With Cardamom And Vanilla
- 200 g butter room temperature, divided in half
- 1 vanilla bean seeds scraped
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- Place 100g of butter in a TALL heatproof microwave-safe dish. Microwave the butter in one minute intervals until fragrant and deep amber in colour, about 4 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Whip remaining 100g butter, seeds from vanilla bean, sugar, and cardamom until light and fluffy. Add cooled browned butter and continue to mix until well combined.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.