Making oven roasted spiced pears will bring out a more caramelized, rich flavour than poaching. A simple recipe combines pears in a casserole dish with brown sugar, spices, and a small amount of liquid for one hour at 350ºF. Spiced pears make a great addition to both sweet and savory dishes!
A Lovely Winter Treat
We make oven roasted pears every winter! There’s something about the smell of roasting fruit which makes me feel so cozy when it’s cold outside. Change up the spice mix based on whatever you have on hand in your pantry, or your personal preference. Maple syrup also makes a fabulous substitution for the brown sugar.
What Can You Do With Oven Roasted Pears?
- Use as a topping for granola, oatmeal, or steel cut oats for breakfast.
- Combine with fresh chopped thyme, and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts to top roasted pork.
- Place oven roasted spiced pears on slices of toasted baguette with Brie.
- Purée into soup with roasted parsnips and top each bowl with a crumble of stinky blue cheese.
- Make a crumble topping with oats, brown sugar, butter, and flour, and bake into a crisp.
- Serve warm in a bowl with some reserved pear syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche.
- Serve over a slice of pound cake with ice cream.
- Layer roasted pears in a winter fruit trifle with cinnamon cake and whipped cream.
- Add to morning yogurt.
- Mash into a spread and serve on a charcuterie board.
- Make roasted pear sorbet or ice cream.
- Use as a topping for salad.
Oven Roasted Spiced Pears
- 4 pears peeled, quartered, cored
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 star anise pods
- 2 tablespoons ice wine, white wine, or water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place all ingredients except pears in a bowl and mix to combine. Add pears and toss to coat.
- Pour pears and coating into prepared baking dish and bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool on rack. Serve warm or cold.