This Strawberry Shortcake With Chai-Spiced Biscuits is a hardcore signal of summer for me. Strawberry shortcake was a staple in my house when I was a child. I can still picture my Mum hulling fresh berries, layering them with biscuits and whipped cream. I put a spin on this childhood summer classic with chai-spice in the biscuits, and a touch of rose water in the whipped cream. You can find my recipe for Homemade Chai Spice here.
This post was first published on August 8, 2017 and was last updated September 6, 2019.
Looking For More Strawberry Recipes? Try:
Looking For More Recipes Using Chai Spice? Try:
Start here with my recipe for Homemade Chai Spice Plus 30 Ways To Use It
Looking For More Baking Recipes? Try:
Strawberry Shortcake With Chai-Spiced Biscuits And Rose Water Whipped Cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 cups strawberries hulled, halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup 35% heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- MACERATE THE STRAWBERRIES - In a large bowl mix strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cover and place in fridge while you bake the biscuits.
- MAKE THE CHAI SPICE - Mix cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and white pepper in a small container. You will need 2 teaspoons for your biscuits.
- MAKE THE BISCUITS - Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 teaspoons of chai spice together.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add milk. With clean hands gently mix and gather the flour and milk mixture into a rough dough.
- Sprinkle a work surface with flour. Dump dough onto surface and knead by hand 40 times.
- Roll dough out to a bout a 1-inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or the end of an opened and clean aluminum can to cut dough into biscuits. Re-roll dough up to two times and continue cutting as many biscuits as you can.
- Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Bake 17-20 minutes until biscuits are golden. Cool on rack.
- MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM - Mix heavy cream, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and rose water on high speed using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, or hand beaters, to stiff peaks.
- ASSEMBLY - Split cooled biscuits in half. Layer with macerated strawberries and rose water whipped cream. Serve.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.