Rhubarb Fool With Cardamom Cream is a recipe from Renée Kohlman‘s fantastic new cookbook All The Sweet Things. Renée says it’s a great recipe to keep in your back pocket for summer entertaining as it will keep in the fridge for up to five days. She also suggests trying the recipe with other seasonal fruits throughout the spring and summer.
This post was first published on May 5, 2017 and was last updated July 25, 2019.
We Loved Sweetsugarbean’s Rhubarb Fool With Cardamom Cream!
I made Renée’s rhubarb fool recipe in partnership with my friend and food stylist Kathy Jollimore. We loved it so much we shot a video! It’s such a gorgeous little dessert and Renée’s cookbook All The Sweet Things is packed with more great recipes. Find it for sale at all of your favourite bookstores, or on Amazon.
Looking For More Rhubarb Recipes? Try:
Rhubarb Fool with Cardamom Cream
- 3 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb chopped in 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream full-fat
- 1/3 cup pistachios shelled, finely chopped for garnish
- To Make The Fool - Place the rhubarb in a medium saucepan with the sugar and wine. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean and then throw the pod in too. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn down the heat to low, simmering away for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft, but still holds it shape. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Remove the vanilla bean pod and discard it.
- To Make The Cardamom Cream - In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix together the sugar and ground cardamom on low speed. Pour in the whipping cream. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly beat in the sour cream.
- Layer the cooled fruit and cream in pretty glass cups or jars - you want to see the gorgeous layers. Spoon some fruit in first, then some cream, then more fruit and end with a layer of cream. Cover the fools with plastic wrap and let them chill at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with chopped pistachios just before serving.
- These will keep, covered with either plastic wrap or lids if you are using jars, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys, or Renée Kohlman @sweetsugarbean so we can take a peek and re-share it in our Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Recipe shared with permission.