This Cider-Poached Rhubarb Pavlova features tart spring rhubarb roasted with hard apple cider and sugar showcased on mini-meringue shells. We chose to add fresh lilac blossoms to the whipped cream for this pavlova. Make your lilac sugar a few days in advance if you want stronger lilac flavour. If lilacs aren’t in season you can substitute any other edible flower you like, or leave them out completely. Also consider using store bought meringue shells to simply make your life easier!
This post was first published on June 28, 2017 and was last updated September 25, 2019.
Looking For More Spring Recipes? Try:
Cider-Poached Rhubarb Pavlova With Lilac Whipped Cream
- 6 stalks rhubarb cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup hard apple cider
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup lilac sugar
- 8 mini meringue shells see note
- Lilac blossoms for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Combine rhubarb pieces, 1/2 cup of sugar, and hard apple cider in an oven-safe dish. Cover with foil and bake until rhubarb is tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, reserving syrup.
- In a stand mixer, or with handheld beaters, whisk heavy cream with lilac sugar until medium to stiff peaks form.
- To assemble rhubarb pavlovas top each mini-meringue shell with cider-poached rhubarb and reserved syrup. Top with a generous dollop of lilac whipped cream.
Did you make this cider-poached rhubarb pavlova? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.