Cape Breton Seafood Chowder
A hearty, rich Cape Breton seafood chowder recipe from Inverness' Cabot Links. Recipe shared with permission.
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup leeks cleaned, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 pound scallops
- 1/2 pound haddock cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/6 pound lobster cooked or uncooked
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 3 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Place water, potatoes, leeks, carrots and celery in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Add scallops and simmer 5 minutes.
Add haddock and, if using uncooked lobster, add it here. Simmer 5 minutes.
If using cooked lobster add it here with the bacon and cream. Simmer 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.