Hi, I’m Kelly Neil and welcome to kellyneil.com! This is my little corner of the internet where I share my food photography along with easy recipes for home bakers and cooks.
🕰 My Background
I started my food journey working in restaurants. At the end of my restaurant career, I was the general manager of one of Halifax’s most acclaimed Italian restaurants.
On the side, I had a personal passion for photography. One day I was approached to photograph new menu items and an obsession was born!
🍽 Food Photography, Styling, And Writing
I started kellyneil.com as a way to showcase my food photography, and over time, it’s evolved into a full-time career. I do all of my own prop sourcing, shopping, and styling, as well as all of my own food styling.
I’ve created content, photography, and recipes for:
Loblaws / President’s Choice
The Chronicle Herald
👀 What You’ll Find Here
My recipes range from classic East Coast fare like Nova Scotia seafood chowder and Nova Scotia blueberry grunt to simple family meals like pesto gnocchi. My favorite things to make are sweet treats I like to eat such as blueberry cake donuts, Biscoff ice cream, and brown sugar shortbread cookies.
A Note About Sponsored Content
Sponsored content, that is, recipes created specifically for clients and brands that compensate me financially, are always indicated as such.
📸 My Photography Gear & Studio
I shoot with Canon gear, tethered to my computer, using artificial light.
The following list contains Amazon affiliate links. If you order anything, I may get a small commission.
- Canon Cameras—Canon 5D Mark iv, Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon 6D Mark ii, Canon LP-E6N battery pack
- Canon Lenses—Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8 L-series, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.2 L-series, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro L-series
- Tripod—Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod, Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 ball head
- Camera Stand—Neewer 93-inch wheeled stand with boom arm
- Lighting—Godox SL-200W LED video light, Godox SL-150WII LED video light, Godox-SL 60W LED video light, Godox S30 Focusing LED light, Savage medium weight translum 60 x 118-inch paper roll, Strobe Pro beauty dish
- Light Stands & Accessories—Manfrotto light stands, Neewer light stands, AmazonBasics light stands, Cameron background stand, Matthews C-stands, AmazonBasics sand bags, gaffers tape, Neewer heavy duty metal reflector clamps
- Tether Cable—Tether Tools TetherPro USB 2.0
- Studio Table—Husky 46-inch adjustable solid wood-top workbench
- Shooting & Editing Software—Capture One, Canon Utility (video), Adobe Photoshop
- Audio Tools—lavalier clip-on microphone, condenser mic kit with boom arm stand
- Computers & Desk Accessories—27-inch 2020 Apple iMac, 16-inch Apple MacBook Pro, VIVO desk converter with adjustable height riser, adjustable lap desk with 8 angles, memory foam under desk foot rest, iPhone 11S, Arkon pro phone stand
I currently have a dedicated studio space in my home. With easy access to my kitchen, plus a large collection of surfaces, props, and linens on hand, it works well for me. I have hosted many clients in this space!
I sometimes shoot on location, however, this occurs on a project-by-project basis.
Working with Kelly was awe-inspiring! Anyone who needs food photography done should contact her right now. It will be the best decision you made this year! Jennifer Laughlin, Owner, Schoolhouse Gluten-Free Gourmet
Kelly fully grasped the intent and character of my recipes and portrayed them beautifully through her work. An outstanding culinary professional, excellent professional photographer, and lovely person to have around the kitchen, Kelly’s a true triple threat! Elisabeth Bailey, author of Maritime Fresh
I can’t recommend Kelly enough. The quality of her work is exceptional, but beyond that she is a dream to work with. Specifically I was impressed by her ability to ask the right questions, understand exactly what the client wanted, then execute the process herself. She went above and beyond what I expected and I would work with her again in a heartbeat. Andrew Breen, Outshine Online Marketing