Chai-Spiced Rice Krispie Squares are a jazzed up version of a classic treat. A touch of homemade chai spice added to the melted marshmallows conjures images of falling leaves and cozy sweaters.
This post was first published on September 27, 2011 and was last updated August 30, 2019.
Make The Homemade Chai Spice Mix Before You Start
I Friggin’ Love Chai-Spiced Rice Krispie Squares!
I’ve eaten four 8 x 8 pans of Chai-Spiced Rice Krispie Squares over the last three weeks as I tested this recipe. In that time I consumed roughly 240 large marshmallows, over 1 cup of butter, and 22 cups of Rice Krispies. That’s a lot of Rice Krispies and it was totally worth it.
Looking For More Chai-Spiced Recipes?
Chai-Spiced Rice Krispie Squares
- 1/4 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon, room temperature
- 250 grams marshamallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons Homemade Chai Spice
- 5 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- Butter a square 8x8 pan.
- Place 2-inches of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Set a large heatproof bowl on top of the pot of boiling water to act as a double-boiler. When water is boiling, add butter to bowl and melt, about 3-5 minutes.
- When butter is melted, add marshmallows. Because the heat of a double boiler is more gentle than the stovetop the marshmallows will take about 10 minutes to melt, possibly longer. Be patient! The slow gentle heat will make your Rice Krispie Squares nice and chewy.
- When the marshmallows have melted completely add the vanilla and chai spice. Mix well.
- Add the Rice Krispies to the melted marshmallow. Fold together gently until all of the Rice Krispies are coated in melted marshmallow. Spoon the mixture into the prepared 8x8 pan. Press Rice Krispies lightly and evenly into pan. Cool and cut into squares.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.